So, a quick update. I started my 2nd pod a day early, for two reasons. I used insulin from a batch of pens that I knew to be questionable, (why? trying to use up my least favorite first… seems silly now!) which seemed to be very slow-acting, sometimes 2 hours to start, when Humalog is supposed to start within 30 minutes. Now I’m trying insulin from a box of cartridges that I know has worked well very recently.
Also, the site I chose was less than optimal. I forgot that I had tried and not liked this same area for my Dexcom CGM sensors – just above the hip, towards the back. Also, unfortunately, I placed it thinking it was high enough to be above my waistline, but ended up placing it right where my pant’s waist hits, so it was uncomfortable with clothes on, and uncomfortable at night sleeping on that side as well. Plus, there was redness and irritation in the area where the tiny plastic tube stays under the skin dosing the insulin. I forget the technical name for that…
So, on to pod #2, placed on the back of my arm, which already feels much better. Just sitting down on the couch is comfortable again! My blood sugars have been a bit all-over, but I think I’m starting to get a handle on this new system. Last night my CGM woke me with a low, and it went off 3 times in 45 minutes (and this after eating 2 of my 15-carb cookies – whole wheat fig bars from Costco, my favorite nighttime low treatment, because I can eat it in 2 bites). I realized this is what the temporary basal rate is for! So I changed it for 3 hours, and woke up about 5 hours later around 140, which I was happy enough with for today. The first night I’d had 3 separate lows, so this was an improvement.
I still woke up today feeling frustrated, like using the pump may not be worth it, but I’m going to give it a few weeks at least, and see how it goes.
I’m still having doubts about the superficial, yet real, aspect of having this unattractive plastic pod stuck on my body, and how uncomfortable I feel about that. This is for another post coming soon!